Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Wolf Moon

Jan 31, 2010: Full moon last night. I thought the cloud cover was going to be too dense to see it, but when I went out about 11 PM it was shining bright, partially covered with a thin veil of clouds. A flock of killdeer called as they flew nearby ... a good way to start my next journal, Volumn 36.

The moon will always have a special place in my heart. My mother, Frances Hamerstrom, wrote "Walk When the Moon is Full" over 35 years ago. The book takes my mother, my brother and me on a walk during the full moon for a whole year, all thirteen moon. I look forward to each full moon.

National Geographic News says this will be the largest moon of the year ... 14% larger and 30% brighter than any other full moon this year! The moon will be full and at perigee -- the nearest it gets to earth during its egg shaped orbit.

4 comments:

  1. This is a lovely painting - really evokes that feeling of the moon and clouds to the point where it brings back memories of seeing just such a moon. I know "Walk When the Moon is Full" - what a incredibly special gift from your mother. No wonder you are drawn to the full moon!

    I've been lurking over on Laure's 100 Paintings Challenge blog and my jaw dropped when I saw your barred owl painting. I'm so glad you've started up a blog and are doing the Challenge! I started mine back in May and love seeing other people embarking on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elva, I like your new blog very much and hope you're able to keep posting! Your painting is wonderful and I enjoyed your words, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm so glad you are posting, I'm so lucky to get to see more of your work!!! We were at our cabin for this full moon. There was snow all around and it was amazingly bright!!

    Love to you and Dale! Deb Callahan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to have found your blog. I share the same NH town and weather with Lita and Dave. Your paintings are enchanting. I spent a good hour pouring over your blog and loving every minute.

    ReplyDelete